Monday, November 7, 2011

No Kid Hungry

Growing up with just mainly my dad, times were definitely tough to say the least.  I remember often times good balanced meals were hard to come by.  It seemed like around pay day food was plentiful but as the days wore on deeper into the month it would be slim pickings.  Too much month at the end of the money my dad used to say. 

I don't recall ever really going *hungry* per se but I do know we struggled to put food on the table at times.  Many times dinner consisted of processed carbohydrate laden foods because those were filling and cheap. 

  • Hamburger Helper
  • Top Ramen
  • Macaroni & Cheese
  • Spaghetti
  • Breakfast for dinner (typically pancakes)
 
Several years around the holidays, I remember vividly being the recipient of food baskets, invites to the local VFW for free holiday meals, etc.  Don't get me wrong I am not looking for pity or sympathy because in the end it has helped shape who I am today in a positive way. I know we are truly blessed in so many ways and I thank GOD every single day.

Because of these experiences growing up I have much more compassion for those that are less fortunate than I.  And I have tried to be a huge advocate in helping those in need.  Especially near and dear to my heart are the number of children that go hungry not only in the US but in many places.  This is why I want to share the No Kid Hungry program with you.

The No Kid Hungry program has been battling the barriers of child hood hunger for the past 25 years.  With people like you and me, they hope to accomplish something phenomenal by the year 2015; ENDING CHILDHOOD HUNGER.

I am not asking for money but rather for you to spread the word about this campaign and take the pledge.  Add your voice, your blog, your twitter feed, your facebook to help end childhood hunger in the US.

It only takes a few minutes.


2 comments:

  1. You got it!! This is definitely a worthy cause!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That can't have been an easy childhood. I remember stories my mum and dad told of scraping money together to buy a carton of milk for my brother and I when we were really little.

    Money was tight when our kids were really little and often we struggled. Now I look at how much 'extra' we have these days and the waste.

    I'd be glad to help spread the word - you rock

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments!

 
- Copyright 2020 imnotsuperwoman.com - Designed By: Layne Design Studio -